Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Unofficial Start of Summer!

The Unofficial Start of Summer! 

Summer is one of my favorite seasons because I get to take out all of my shells.  Every year I decorate entirely different because I can't remember what I did with what the previous year.  I filled this candle holder with small beige stones which look like shells.


I filled this candy jar with the Lavender I dried last year. I found some purple beads and ribbon to decorate the jar. I got another Lavender plant for Mother's Day so I'll be drying that as the flowers bloom.  Last year's plant is growing into a bush in the front of the house.  I hope to repeat that pattern with this new plant.


My collection of shells and things keeps growing and growing...




My hutch is now ready for summer.




My daughter Kristen gifted me with a set of beautiful tiles she painted and glazed when she was in high school.  The one below has the cool blue shades of summer and the other one has the reds and oranges of Fall.
.

We spent this past weekend at our new home away from home in MA.  Thursday and Friday nights were really chilly in Boston.  We had drinks at a Jerry Remy's Seaport before dinner.  This was the gorgeous view from our table inside.




 We are central enough so we can get to lots of neat places.  Just when we think we've done just about everything there is to do in MA we keep finding more little towns to explore.  Saturday we took a day trip to Cape Anne.  


We went through Manchester by the Sea and Gloucester which was originally an old fishing village. 


Cape Anne is made up of a group of small sleepy towns that flow into each other.  




This sign look familiar?


 Essex reminded me a lot of Kennebunkport Maine.  










Rockport is the town to stop in. Start strolling around and wander in and out of the unique shops which line the main street.

 

Every so often you get a glimpse of another beautiful view of the water.




The shops are wonderful.  The little boutiques have different things and the prices are reasonable.

 


Rockport is known for their really good art galleries and local artisans who sell their work.




This is a collage of driftwood.


And a painting with the driftwood theme.



 
I love these ladies!


They inspired me to get busy and make one.  Unfortunately time is my enemy.


This was the view from a small alley next to an art gallery.


Another photo stop next to a boutique.


 This is the perfect time of the year to visit these towns because the tourists aren't out in full force yet.



My husband spotted these wine bottle lights.  I see them everywhere now.  These were $30.  


 I still like mine better.


This is the view from the end of the main street.

 





This is why Rockport is known for their resident artists and galleries. Who wouldn't want to live here and paint your day away! 


On the way home we stopped in Ipswich.  My friend Kim always talks about this restaurant and I'm really glad I remembered it.  The food is fantastic.  The clams are tender and huge.  The inside is rustic but if you go on a beautiful day you can eat outside.  We were there late in the afternoon and there was a line.  Kim said in the summer the line is endless.




This sign was in the window of one of the galleries and it's so true.  


Little getaways are very special!  Thanks for taking this little trip with me.  I'll be back soon!








2 comments:

  1. What a great post, I always enjoy reading your blog. It makes my day so much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your wine bottles better too.
    The scenes of the little inlet are crying to be reinterpreted in art! I'll have to take a trip to photograph and work my illustrations from home. There's just too much to capture in one day.

    ReplyDelete