Saturday, February 20, 2016

February 2016

So far this winter the weather has been really pleasant compared to the last few years.  Except for a few days of snow it's even been mild.  I'm still banking on a little more snow before I change my house over to Spring but I'm getting pretty itchy to start doing that.



Some years when the weather doesn't cooperate it's hard to go shopping for winter essentials like quilt fabric.  When I'm not off exploring quilt shops everywhere I'm lucky to have a wonderful quilt shop over in the next town.

This is Yankee Cloth.  Nancy is the owner.  She's extremely helpful and full of wonderful ideas!

411 Center Street, Wallingford, CT

 I love this old restored house.  It's gorgeous and even more beautiful inside.  It's meticulous with gleaming hardwood floors and shelf after shelf of endless bolts of beautiful fabric from all of the fabric companies we love.  The shop has lots of books, notions, patterns etc.  One of the best things about this shop is so many of the patterns are finished and displayed.  I get in so much trouble because I want everything I see.  I always go overboard but that's the fun of shopping at a good quilt shop.  You're supposed to want to do that!  It's got all the goodies we love and if you can't find something Nancy orders it for you!


Whenever Sue goes to Yankee she buys Nancy out of these $2 scrap bags.  I always know when she's been there because the bin is almost empty.  I never paid attention to these little bags until...


I realized I could do so many fun scrappy things with this fabric AND it's all coordinated.  And there's a good amount of fabric in them! So now after I've shopped I always go over to the bin and pick out these little bags!


I had a little time to play recently and decided to see exactly what I could make with the fabric from my scrap bags.

I've wanted to make this potholder since I saw it on Freda's Hive blog.  BTW - I love this blog - check it out!

http://fredashive.blogspot.com/2009/01/doll-house-potholder-tutorial.html

I plan to make a whole lot more of these!!


I came across this pattern on Pinterest and loved it so much I decided to make this mug rug out of another bag of scraps.

 

This is My personal mug rug!!


 Then I showed them to Kristen and Susan and asked if they might like one and of course they do.  Then I decided to make a few for presents/hostess gifts etc. and now I've got a little stash.  They're so easy and fun to make.  


Here's the pattern.  This is a neat blog too!  At first I was going to follow the directions step by step but I knew if I put a lot of time and effort into making this mug rug I wouldn't want to use it.  Instead I decided to just applique the coffee cup onto my scrap fabric.  I think they came out just as pretty and the best part was I was able to finish them in one sitting.  All I have to do now is sew the binding on a couple of them.  I can do this mindlessly while I'm watching Dr. Phil.

 http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com/2013/04/34-coffee-cup-not-my-job-description.html

I love the two-sided Lite EZ-Steam II fusible web.  I always use it when I applique and then just quickly go over the design with a button hole embroidery stitch. 


We have a new member of the family!!  Sue bought a long arm sewing machine and we named her LuLu!!  At first LuLu had to get used to living in Sue's beautiful quilt room.  Once she got more comfortable she got less finicky and Sue learned what she likes and doesn't like.  I always ask Sue if she pinches herself when she wakes up every morning knowing that beautiful machine is just sitting there waiting for her!

 

I never finish my blog without a delicious recipe and this one is fantastic!  I had a package of Neufchatel cream cheese in the fridge which I had to use and some homemade strawberry jam I save for occasions such as this.  I decided to substitute the raspberry for strawberry and it was out of this world!!  With a cup of coffee or a big glass of cold milk it's a memorable dessert!



Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

from allrecipes.com

Directions


  • Prep
  • Cook
  • Ready In
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch spring-form pan.
  2. Combine flour, 3/4 cup sugar, and butter in a food processor; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup of mixture from food processor and set aside. To remaining mixture in processor add baking soda, baking powder, salt, sour cream, almond extract, and 1 egg; process until batter is just combined and smooth. Spread batter evenly into bottom and 2 inches up sides of prepared pan.
  3. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 egg together in a bowl until smooth; pour into batter-lined pan and spread evenly. Spread raspberry preserves carefully over cheese filling.
  4. Stir reserved crumb mixture and sliced almonds together in a small bowl; sprinkle over the layer of raspberry preserves.
  5. Bake in preheated oven until filling is set and crust is deep golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before removing side of pan. Chill completely before serving, about 1 hour.

I really love to quilt but my first love is and always will be dolls.  So every once in a while I HAVE to make a doll.  Unfortunately right now with my busy life I no longer have the time or patience to sculpt dolls but just like a good recipe I can always whip up a quick doll.  Keeping with my scrap mentality lately I made this mouse from the left-over mitten candle mat I made a few months ago.


There's never enough time to play but it sure feels good when you can fit it in!!

Thanks for visiting and see you in March!!

No comments:

Post a Comment