Sunday, February 9, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

                Happy Valentine's Day!

A while ago when my friend Jen emailed me this photo of Prince Flip I knew he was going to be the Star of my Valentine's Day post.  When I die I want to come back as Princess Flip!  He has beautiful seasonal and holiday quilts.  AND they aren't made from Jo-Ann's fabrics.  They are made only of the best quality quilt fabric so they can be washed and used.  Boy does he use them!  He goes from one place to the next taking cat naps all day!  What a life! 

       

When I asked Jen if I could post the quilt and directions, she was generous to include the pattern. 



Instructions:

Choose 3 fabrics in a theme or a complementary trio.  Cut according to the cutting diagram. When assembling press all seams to the outside and cut off the "ears".  For my kitty quilt, I used two blocks with a 5 1/2" wide center sashing and a 5 1/2" wide strip on both sides.  The borders are 2 1/2" wide.  Rather than use binding I sewed it and turned it inside out.  You do this by laying down the batting, then on top of the batting place the backing with right side up and then on top of that place the top right side down.
Sew around leaving an opening to turn inside out. Press and then sew then stitch around the outer edges to close.  I machine quilted in a chevron pattern. Finished size is approximately 31" x 26".  With some scraps I made a pillow sham.  The valentine reds are especially pretty if you have a black and white kitty who sleeps upon it! 





The beauty of this quilt pattern is you can make it as big as you like.  I think I'll make a table runner.  I can picture so many color variations.  Right now I'm thinking bright colors for the summer!!

1


2


3


4


5


6


Pick up sticks!  Oh, forgot, Flip's not interested.


While you're quilting maybe you'll want a sweet treat!

Once again, these aren't real.  I have more fake sweets in my house than real ones.  That's a good and bad thing!


Everyone thinks of chocolate when they think of Valentine's Day BUT I promise if you make these cookies and dip than in white chocolate you won't miss the dark chocolate.  My mom made these oatmeal cookies all the time when I was growing up.  They were my dad's favorite cookie.  I think Nestle's Tollhouse Cookies were her favorite because whenever she baked these two cookies were her staples.  One day my friend Sue mentioned oatmeal cookies were her husband Roy's favorite.  But it wasn't until she told me her secret that I was entranced!  After they cool, she dips them in white chocolate!!  OMG - to die for!  Promise!!  

Classic Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

Raisin oatmeal cookies are one of the most popular cookies in America. This all-time favorite is easy to make and is a fun activity to do with kids.
Preparation time: About 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup softened butter or margarine
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
  • Directions:
    HEAT oven to 350 F. 
    BEAT
     butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. 
    COMBINE
     flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. 
    ADD to butter mixture and mix well. 
    STIR
     in oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. 
    BAKE 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets.
    COOL on wire racks.
    Makes 3 dozen cookies.
    For the Dipping:
    White Chocolate Chips
    Spray a small non-stick pan with vegetable spray.  Put in enough white chocolate chips to dip all the cookies.  On low heat, melt the chips slowly, stirring frequently.  When the chips are melted, take the pan off the heat and put it on a trivet. Start dipping.  Let cool.  
    NOTE:  Last year I bought a melting pot at Jo-Ann's with a 50% coupon.  I use that now.  It's also great to dip strawberries in too!  It has many uses!

     Let's hope Chuckles was wrong and Spring comes real soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment