Thursday, July 3, 2014

Happy 4th of July!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!


This is Killer Hamilton wearing her itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini.  She wants you to know not everyone can wear a bikini the way she does!



July is my birthday.   This year my motto is I'm not thrilled to be a year older but I sure am happy to have the day off!

This is one of my favorite quotes.  As I get older, I find myself adjusting my sails a lot more than I used to.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but I'm doing it...




It's fitting to share some of my vintage treasures with you because as I get older they do too! You would never believe how old some of these precious gems are!  This little musical dolly stands on my piano waiting to belt out a song for anyone who wants to listen...she brought her pillow in case she doesn't get any bites.


I found this little dish somewhere - can't remember - but thankfully I always remember to put it out for everyone's birthday!


This is my friend Little Miss Worrywort.  She's been fretting over everything for the past 20 years! 


I try to let her do some of my worrying while I relax...



This little vintage baby has slept just about everywhere in our house...


except the sun room because she isn't dressed for the beach.


I found these neat coasters in Rockport, MA over the Memorial Day weekend.  I love the little shops there. 


Remember this crab that couldn't be a little quilted table topper because the white part of the background is too stiff?  And I said I'd have to make a pillow out of it to save it?  Well, here it is complete with tassels.  It turned out fine.  Only thing is I have to start limiting my mistakes because I've run out of furniture to put the pillows on!!


One more sunny thought.  I bought this sun years ago at the dry goods store in Provincetown.  Like many things I've collected through the years I never found the right home for it.  It doesn't really belong inside and it doesn't belong outside so this past weekend I put it out right in front of the coffee table in the sun room.  I keep looking at it waiting for it to tell me where it should go.  I'll keep you posted.



Ever hear the saying never trust a skinny chef?  


 These two have been debating that for many many years.


The verdict is still out because the other chef in the house won't take sides!



Zayika, our other family member sent me a Facebook message saying these cinnamon rolls are to die for and worth the little more effort it takes to make them.  Her dad loves them. I don't usually post a recipe I haven't tried but I trust Zayika.  She's the only skinny one in the family who still after 21 years only eats certain things.  Food in general doesn't get her excited so if she says these are amazing then I'm making them!  I'll keep you posted as soon as weight permits!  Thanks Z for my next 5 lbs.!


HOMEMADE CINNABON CINNAMON ROLLS

Yield: 15 rolls
 

Ingredients:

For the dough:
3/4 cup warm water
2 and 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
4 and 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour

For the filling:
1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar
2 and 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature

For the cream cheese frosting:
2 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
pinch of vanilla powder ( or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 and 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted


Directions:

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add water, yeast, and 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar. Stir together, then let the yeast rise for about 5-10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and oil until well-combined. After 10 minutes, the yeast should look frothy and bubbly. At this point, pour in the buttermilk mixture, remaining sugar, and salt, and stir together for 10-15 seconds.

Pour in 2 cups of the measured flour, and stir on low speed until incorporated. Continue to pour in flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the bowl and bowl starts to look clean. Increase speed to medium and knead for 5 minutes. The dough should be slightly sticky, but not sticky enough to stick to your fingers when touched. 

Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then set aside in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours, or until dough has doubled in size.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch until combined. 

Butter an 11x15 inch glass baking dish, then line with parchment paper, and butter again.

Once dough has risen, liberally flour a large, clean work surface. Punch down the dough to remove air bubbles, then transfer it to the work surface. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, roughly 20x30 inches wide. Spread softened butter over the surface of the dough, leaving a 1-inch strip on the edge of the dough farthest from you untouched. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the butter, then use a rolling pin to gently roll over the mixture and slightly press it into the butter. 

Starting with the edge of the dough closest to you, gently roll up the dough into a tight log, sealing it with the strip of dough you left untouched. Cut off any uneven ends. Score dough every two inches, then use those marks to evenly slice your dough into rolls. 

Place rolls into parchment paper lined baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, then set aside in a warm place to rise 1-2 hours, or until rolls have doubled in size and are almost touching each other. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15-17 minutes, or until tops start to brown. Do not overbake!

While rolls are baking, prepare your frosting. In a bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and lemon juice and beat until combined. Pour in powdered sugar and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Then, increase speed to high and beat for an additional 5 minutes, or until frosting turns white. 

Once you remove the rolls from the oven, spread half of the frosting on top of them. This layer will melt into the rolls. Once they've cooled down, spread on the remaining frosting. Serve warm or reheat before serving. 

Adapted from Lauren's Latest


Speaking of recipes.  Right after I posted my lemon trifle recipe I came across this Moda Bakeshop Trifle Dish!!  I was so excited!  I am adding this to my endless sky high list of quilt projects.



Trifle Dish Announcement

here's the link-cut and paste in your browser:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2014/06/trifle-dish-announcement.html


This is a smaller project that I really want to make.  I love houses and for all my talking I have yet to make one!!

Freda's Hive Dollhouse Potholder Tutorial



Here's the link-cut and paste in your browser:

http://fredashive.blogspot.com/2014/02/potholder-tutorial-rewind.html


I love to read but don't have a lot of time so I decided many years ago to take my books to the
gym instead of my IPOD.  If a book is really good I can almost forget how much I hate running on the treadmill!  Here's a list of books I've read in the past few months that passed my difficult test with flying colors.  They make great summer reads.


The Daring Ladies of Lowell - Kate Alcott
The Dressmaker - Kate Alcott

Under the Wide & Starry sky - Nancy Horan

The Beach Club - Elin Hilderbrand

Lost Lake - Sarah Addison Allen

And When She was Good - Laura Lipman
Isabel's Bed - Laura Lipman

Shirley Jones-A Memoir - Shirley Jones

The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison

Ladies Night - Mary Kay Andrews

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker - Jennifer Chaverini

The Painted Home - Dena (love this book-decorating & crafts)


Looks like I've run out of room again.  I've talked so much I put Killer to sleep.  We'll have to invite her back to model more of her stunning wardrobe.  She loves to get dressed up and greets people at the door with her beautiful wardrobe.




I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend and once again, as always, thanks for visiting!  See you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment