Monday, May 18, 2015

May 2015

May Flowers

An old friend posted this on Facebook the other day and when I saw it I pinned it.  I love lilacs.  My childhood home had so many lilac bushes in the yard we had bouquets of flowers in our house all summer long.


Update:  Here are the small distressed tables I refinished last month.  I love them.  I already have a vision of this one with a miniature Christmas tree on the top tier and some of my dolls on the second tier.  Stay tuned for that!


I love the way this table came out.  Right now it's in my sewing room.  I'm sure it'll move all over the house before it finds a real home.



Since finishing my 50 Civil War blocks I've taken to making small quilts.  They're so much fun BECAUSE IT DOESN'T TAKE LONG TO FINISH THEM!  I love this scrappy paper doll quilt.



This was really fun once Donna straightened me out.  Next time I get to quilt group I'll bring it and ask the pros how to quilt it.  I've noticed I tend to lean toward tying my quilts because that method is so quick and easy.  This time I think I need to quilt this one!



This is my favorite mini quilt so far.  I have to button hole around the bags before I quilt it.  I've always wanted to make a bag quilt.  Next I HAVE TO MAKE A HOUSE QUILT!


Since time is my enemy I do everything in short increments.  The best part about having a sewing room is you can leave everything on a table for however long and then have it sitting there calling you to come back and work on it!



For quite some time now I've looked for an album I could put all of my "treasures" in.  I didn't want to make a journal where I pasted everything down.  I just wanted some vessel to house all of the little things I've been collecting over the years.  When I saw this 8X8 photo album in Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago I knew this was it. 



I always have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to use things the way they're supposed to be used.  I can be different and free to be creative.  I think when you work in a rigid environment where there are strict rules all day long it's hard to let your imagination run wild when you have free time.  So I felt good when I finished putting everything in these pages.


This is an example of what's in my album.  I love cards that speak to me.  I found a set of cards in a little shop in Homer Alaska.  I started framing them when I realized I don't have any room to display them.  This is the where my album comes in handy.  Everything needs to be in one place otherwise I lose everything.  The worst part is I'll search everywhere over and over until I find what I'm looking for.  Sometimes I wonder what I've lost that I've forgotten!


I can't remember where I bought this doll pincushion pattern.  This past winter I made her one snow day.  I embellished her a little and embroidered her face.  Of course she's too cute to stick pins in so she just hangs out with me on the table when I'm working.



Finally, a few weeks ago I decided to embroider a little saying and frame it.  It took a whole weekend to get my house into summer mode so why not make my own framed sayings.  


I collect frames.  I didn't realize when I bought this one that it's deep and perfect for a "window box" venue.


Lastly, since Memorial Day weekend is coming up I couldn't leave you without sharing one of my favorite recipes.  This Odense chocolate cake is so easy and delicious.  If you tried the almond cake recipe I posted at Christmas you'll love this.  I've never made the Ganache Glaze.  I usually put a doily over the top of the cake when it's cool and sprinkle it with powdered sugar.  The cake stands alone without an icing.  But if you know me by now you know I'm not leaving it at that.  I serve it with vanilla ice cream!

Chocolate Frangipan

Chocolate Frangipan Recipe
The mix of almond paste and cocoa is a match made in heaven.
YIELD
One 9 inch or 10 inch cake
TIME
20 minutes to assemble
25 minutes to bake
Total Time: 45 minutes
INGREDIENTS
  • For Cake:
  • 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste, grated
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) soft butter
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa powder (dutch processed preferred)
  • For Chocolate Ganache Glaze (Optional):
  • 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons butter
DIRECTIONS
1.To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the tart pan.
2.Add the Almond Paste to a mixing bowl with sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until combined. Beat on high until smooth, about 3 minutes.
3.Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Scrape bowl down and beat on high until light and fluffy.
4.Mix flour and cocoa and fold into the batter until just combined.
5.Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted between the center and edge comes out clean. The middle will still be soft. It will firm as it cools.
6.Cool on a wire rack.
7.To make glaze: Bring water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler. Put cream, butter, and chocolate pieces in the top of double boiler. Stir until melted together. DO NOT LET ANY WATER TOUCH MIXTURE.
8.Pour warm glaze over cake and smooth to edges. For a show stopping presentation, pipe with white frosting and garnish with raspberries.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
9 or 10 inch tart pan with removable
bottom or springform pan
Box grater
Electric mixer


Thanks for visiting.  I can't believe next time we talk it'll be June!  I think this summer is going to fly by.  See you soon...

1 comment: