Sunday, April 26, 2015

April Showers!



April Showers Bring May Flowers!


This is one of my favorite tile pieces by Kristen. I am so fortunate to be able to seasonally rotate her beautiful art.   
     

Spring is here on the Cape.  Susan and Luke were there a few weekends ago when the weather was beautiful.  They were lucky to have most places all to themselves because tourist season hasn't begun yet.




Spring is also the time for the Artexpo in New York City at Pier 94.  The artwork below is just a glimpse at some of the highlights of the show this year.  




If you go to this show on a regular basis you'll see a lot of the same artists and that's what makes it so much fun because this is a show where the artists want to talk to you.  If you buy their work they absolutely remember you.  We have a favorite artist named Jeremy and this is the second year Susan bought some of his work and he not only remembered her/us, he gave her a free piece.

Jewelry is something we don't see often there so I had to try on a few pieces.  Mother's Day and my birthday are coming up (that's a hint if anyone in my family reads this) and dreaming is free!!!


Love these two necklaces!


There are no photo signs all over this show but once in a while you come across an artist who loves to have his/her work photographed.  I lucked out because the pieces below were my all time favorite. 


The lighting wasn't terrific for the shimmering silver in these pieces but it just made the work pop.


Who doesn't just love an ostrich?


Spring means a new quilt hanging for the back of the front door.  I finished my Alaska mini quilt just in time to hang.


I saw this adorable mug rug on one of quilt websites I subscribe to and thought it would be a really fun easy project for summer.  It's on my project list.  You'll see it if I make it.  If you make it please send me a photo and I'll post it!

Nautical Mug Rug – am I in fashion?

Bring summer to your table all year round with this fun nautical mug rug template and instructions.Cut and paste in your browser - http://so-sew-easy.com/nautical-mug-rug-fashion/
So what's a great weekend without an equally great dessert!   I have vanilla ice cream in the freezer I'd like to use up so this is perfect.
Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
Chocolate Pudding Cake

Yield: Serves 12
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This rich and moist chocolate cake with a silky chocolate pudding sauce is easy to make and always a hit! We like to serve the cake with vanilla ice cream.

ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (we use Dutch processed cocoa)
2 1/2 cups boiling water

directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1 cup of the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well combined. If there are lumps of brown sugar, use your hands to break them up. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate together over medium-low heat.
4. In a separate small saucepan, heat buttermilk over low heat until barely warmed. You don't want it to bubble or boil. Remove from heat.
5. Remove chocolate and butter mixture from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour mixture over dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk and stir until combined. Spread into the prepared pan.
6. Combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups brown sugar with the cocoa in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth, using your hands to break up any brown sugar clumps. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the chocolate cake batter.
7. Pour the boiling water evenly over the cake. Yes, it will look like a mess, but I promise it will turn out!
8. Carefully transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch.
9. Remove cake from oven and cool on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before serving. To serve, invert each serving on a plate so that the fudge sauce on the bottom becomes a topping. Spoon any extra sauce in the pan over the top. You can serve the cake at room temperature or warm. Top with ice cream, if desired.
Recipe from Still Life with Menu by Mollie Katzen
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen! 

 Pier I had this flamingo pillow in their flyer last month.  I love flamingos in the summer so I decided to brighten up my living room with it.  The store doesn't carry it but they ordered it for me and shipped it to my house for free.


Last month I went in to buy some spring pillows for the family room and came out with these goodies.  Now I have to stay away from there for a while!


Stop back next month.  I'm refinishing these two old tables.  Either the finished pieces are going to be fabulous OR I'm going to have to trash them.  I'll share the photo no matter the outcome!


I can't believe the next post will be May!  I have a feeling this spring and summer are going to fly by.  I hope not too fast because I can't wait to get outside and actually sit on my deck.  It's been 8 long months!

Thanks for visiting!  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment